amilo-forum.com

Everything you need to know about Amilo and Lifebook laptops by Fujitsu

linux on amilo li 1718

Everything around Linux and Unix-like operating systems.

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby roadrash » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:24 am

To get the new Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx working do the following

1. download http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roadrash/lucid/fsam7400-0.5.2.tbzto your home folder

2. extract the tarball

now open a terminal and enter the following

cd fsam7400-0.5.2

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo modprobe fsam7400

sudo gedit /etc/modules


and add fsam7400 to the next line and then save & reboot
Last edited by roadrash on Sat May 01, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
roadrash
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 am

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby Ryatzu » Sat May 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Im getting the following error when i tried your solution for ubuntu 10.04

Code: Select all
justin@justin-laptop:~/Desktop/fsam7400-0.5.2$ sudo make
[sudo] password for justin:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS= modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic'
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/hash
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `kernel/bounds.c', needed by `kernel/bounds.s'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-21-generic'
make: *** [fsam7400.ko] Error 2


How can i fix it?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Ryatzu
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby roadrash » Sat May 01, 2010 10:06 pm

I made a mistake by leaving you a modprobe command. I have now corrected it. please try again and just ignore the error 2. It should activate the wireless as soon as you enter the modprobe command.
User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
roadrash
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 am

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby destine » Sun May 02, 2010 8:06 am

Heya,

As far as i can tell the wireless button and fan don't do anything.
The (i) button brings up the file browser, this is fine.
The wireless itself works fine.
When compiling and installing i also get the error 2. However is still works if ignored as you have said.

Thanks for the quick work and support!!!!
destine
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:26 am

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby BlueyVIII » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:44 pm

roadrash wrote:To get the new Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx working do the following

1. download http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roadrash/lucid/fsam7400-0.5.2.tbzto your home folder

2. extract the tarball

now open a terminal and enter the following

cd fsam7400-0.5.2

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo modprobe fsam7400

sudo gedit /etc/modules


and add fsam7400 to the next line and then save & reboot


I wish I'd come across this link 24hours ago - it would've saved me a lot of frustration!! :oops:

I got fed up with the performance of my Amilo Li1718 running Windows 7 and really wanted to avoid upgrading my laptop just to satisfy the requirements of Windows so I installed Ubuntu 10.04. Everything worked fine apart from the WLAN and after probably 12 hours of constant searching I still couldn't get it to work!! After almost giving up and reverting back to Windows I decided to widen my Google Search criteria to "Amilo 1718 Linux WLAN" and this was the 1st link I found!! Hey presto, the WLAN is now working perfectly and I get to keep Ubunto!!!

Thanks Roadrash....

8)
BlueyVIII
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby roadrash » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Just tested the latest release candidate of Ubuntu 10.10 maverick meerkat & everyone will pleased to hear that it works perfectly on the Li1718. The wifi now works without any intervention. lets hope its still OK in the final release.
User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
roadrash
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 am

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby tomin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Somehow I can't get Linux (Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 or Fedora 13) to work on Amilo Li 1718. If I boot normally (but remove quiet splash parameters) it freezes (Alt+SysRq+REISUB won't work) when there is something about SATA, hdds or so (I can check that later). If I use acpi=off it boots but works quite slow and processor speed stepping doesn't work also battery information isn't displayed. Other options like nomodeset, nolapic, irqpoll and whatever they are don't work. I don't know what is wrong but if you have any clue I'd like to know that.
tomin
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby roadrash » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:31 am

I had problems getting Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick meerkat to boot from a live CD & even a UBB key. I dont know why this was but what I found works is ironically a windows program call "Linux Live USB creator". Its a utility that will create a bootable USB key from the ISO file much like the linux program "unetbootin" which also failed to work. If you downdoad "Linux Live USB creator here: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ and create a USB key from the iSO, it should install no problem.
The wireless works perfectly right after install no problem as long as you have set it to enabled at startup in the bios.
Hope this helps.
User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
roadrash
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 am

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby tomin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:37 am

roadrash wrote:I had problems getting Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick meerkat to boot from a live CD & even a UBB key. I dont know why this was but what I found works is ironically a windows program call "Linux Live USB creator". Its a utility that will create a bootable USB key from the ISO file much like the linux program "unetbootin" which also failed to work. If you downdoad "Linux Live USB creator here: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ and create a USB key from the iSO, it should install no problem.
The wireless works perfectly right after install no problem as long as you have set it to enabled at startup in the bios.
Hope this helps.

Too bad that I don't actually have a Windows (installed) but I think I can try that (just won't make that stick on my own computer). BTW it didn't matter did I use a CD or USB-stick made with Ubuntu's own tools or Unetbootin. I'll post the results later.
tomin
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby tomin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm

tomin wrote:
roadrash wrote:I had problems getting Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick meerkat to boot from a live CD & even a UBB key. I dont know why this was but what I found works is ironically a windows program call "Linux Live USB creator". Its a utility that will create a bootable USB key from the ISO file much like the linux program "unetbootin" which also failed to work. If you downdoad "Linux Live USB creator here: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ and create a USB key from the iSO, it should install no problem.
The wireless works perfectly right after install no problem as long as you have set it to enabled at startup in the bios.
Hope this helps.

Too bad that I don't actually have a Windows (installed) but I think I can try that (just won't make that stick on my own computer). BTW it didn't matter did I use a CD or USB-stick made with Ubuntu's own tools or Unetbootin. I'll post the results later.


Didn't help. :( Alternate CD didn't help either.
tomin
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby tomin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:47 pm

johnwright wrote:First you should try linux (Ubuntu) without installing it. If you would like to try Ubuntu without having to install you can easily do so. The Ubuntu CD you now have in your possession is able to run as a Live CD. This essentially means that the operating system can be run from the CD without having to be installed on your amilo li 1718. Once Ubuntu has booted from the Live CD you can begin to experiment with Linux. You should try it.

I've tried. That is actually exactly what I'm trying to do. BTW, I experimented with some acpi-parameters and seems that only acpi=off and acpi=ht boot correctly. Though I think I had some other problems (bad CD or so) with noacpi and nolacpi so I haven't really tried them yet.
tomin
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby roadrash » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Did you check the md5sum of the iso you downloaded to make sure it is not damaged.
User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
roadrash
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 am

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby tomin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:13 pm

roadrash wrote:Did you check the md5sum of the iso you downloaded to make sure it is not damaged.

It's fine (same sum as on website). The drive I used to burn that disc was new and I tried burning a second disc. It also checked the disc (after burning) to make sure it's fine. When I booted that Ubuntu CD it told me about some I/O error in /dev/sr0 (if I remember right) on both disks. I tried to booting with the drive I used to burn the disc but it didn't help at all.
tomin
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby roadrash » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:33 pm

I cant understand why you are having these problems. I have just install Ubuntu 10.10 on my mates LI1718 & its was no problem. Just wondered I use the i386 which version are you trying i386 or amd64 bit?
User #386576 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org
roadrash
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 am

Re: linux on amilo li 1718

Postby hikaru » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 am

@tomin:
Some things that come to my mind:
1. Depending on your CPU you might want to try another architecture.
2. Maybe you should try some distribution with an older kernel. Afaik there were some changes in the handling of SATA controllers between 2.6.26 and 2.6.27. So Ubuntu 8.04 (2.6.24) or Debian stable (2.6.26) might be worth a try.
3. You might even try something that doesn't have a Linux kernel at all. One of the BSDs or OpenSolaris. The latter works pretty fine on my Si 1520. You could also try the BSD variants of Debian testing or Gentoo.

It might also be helpful to compare your BIOS version and the settings concerning the SATA controller with the ones of roadrashs mate.
User avatar
hikaru
Moderator
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:23 am
Notebook:
  • Dell Precision M6500
  • Amilo Si 1520
  • Desktop
  • Asus EEE 901

PreviousNext

Return to Linux / Unix / BSD

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests